Here is some advice a “wise” child might give to their parents …
- Don’t spoil me. I know I ought not have all I’ve asked for. I’m only testing you.
- Don’t be afraid to be firm with me. I prefer it. It makes me feel more secure.
- Don’t let me form bad habits. I’m relying on you for their early detection.
- Don’t make me feel “small”. It only makes me behave stupidly trying to be “big”.
- Don’t correct me in front of others if you can help it. I prefer it in private.
- Don’t protect me from consequences. I need to learn the painful way sometimes.
- Don’t make rash promises. It breaks trust when promises are broken.
From Ephesians 6:4 –
“Do not exasperate your children; instead bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”